Wednesday, December 21, 2011

I adopted a dog a while ago, she finally adopted me...

When our dog Frankie died I didn't think I would ever be able to get another dog. As much as I longed for one my heart was so broken and in so much pain I couldn't imagine ever putting myself through it again. With that said I was surprised when I found myself surfing Petfinder looking at all the animals in need of homes just weeks after he had passed.
There I found Sweet Pea, better known now as Remi. Short and stubby with her flat face and bulging eyes and snaggled teeth protruding from her lips. I fell in love with her instantly. Every day I found myself logging on just to look at her. Then finally against my husbands wishes I called to inquire about her. There was a family looking at her so I tried not to get too excited, fearing that she was too irresistible and was surely going to be adopted by the family. I filled out an adoption application anyways and let fate handle the rest. Other than the adoption of my children, I have never felt so scrutinized. Was my house big enough? Was my yard big enough? Do I come off as a responsible pet owner? Will they think we have too many children? Was the pet food I had chosen good enough? As silly as that sounds these were true fears of mine. I wanted so badly to be accepted. When we finally received the call that we could adopt her it was hard to have to wait until the weekend to travel to Columbus to get her. I wanted to run out of my office and jump in my car and head straight there!
When we got to the shelter she was everything we had hoped for. I looked behind a counter at her and she was just so darling that I began to cry. Her wiggly little butt could barely control itself. I never thought I would say this, but I longed for the smell of "dog." When the girl brought her out she immediately fell into my lap and rolled on her back for a belly rub. The girl asked if we still wanted her and I laughed, "well of course," why wouldn't I? Thinking back, perhaps there are people that come in and don't feel a connection and decide that isn't the dog for them. That never even crossed my mind. She leaped into our car like she hadn't missed a beat.
When we brought her home Doug fell right in love with her too. But when would she fall in love with us? This is something I had never thought about. We picked her. We took her home. She did not pick us. It was strange bringing a new dog into the house. She was completely wonderful, but surely not Frankie and I needed to quit comparing her to him. The thing I missed most about him was snuggling at night. She was not a snuggler. Instead she would curl up at the foot of the bed. Many nights I found myself grabbing my pillow and slinging it to the foot of the bed and hanging my arm around her. Doug would often call her to the head of the bed where she would happily come give him a kiss and move back to the foot. We both felt disappointed and he would tell her, "you have to learn to snuggle little girl!" At this point I started to wonder what her previous life was like. Was it horrible? Part of me wanted to think so, part of me wanted to think that perhaps we saved her from some terrible past. Then the other part would wonder if she had an adoring family that she missed so much, one that we couldn't replace.
Several months have gone by and I must say, I think she has finally adopted us. It has been slow and steady. She has always seemed to be happy and enjoy us but this is different. She eagerly greets me at the door with her ball or baby ready to get down to business or play depending oh how you look at it. She waits by the door right at three o'clock for the kids to come home from school and goes room to room tucking them into bed at night. Even though she has no ability to sense when she is stepping all over someone, the kids don't mind. They are just happy when she chooses to jump into their bed with them; and when the night ends she hops right into bed with Doug and I. Slowly she has eased her way to the head of the bed. Even taking over my pillow many nights. It really makes me smile  as I wrap my arm over here heat box of a furry bod. It took a while for me to realize that even though I adopted her, she needed to adopt me back. I think this has finally happened. It feels good to know she loves us as much as we love her. She is such a blessing to our family.

No comments:

Post a Comment