Friday, January 15, 2010

Dear Mr. Murphy, No one likes your law

(Graphic, but true)
Call me a source of negativity, but I love quoting Murphy's law, If anything can go wrong, it will. Now that doesn't mean I like it. In fact, I'm not sure anyone likes it, but it does seem to be true. Especially when it comes to children.
If they have to pee, it's when there is no bathroom, when there's a bathroom there is no toilet paper and If you found a babysitter for the night, someone will always end up sick.
People don't tell you this when you have babies. Its more like, "aww, congratulations, you're going to make wonderful parents, I wanna be the first one to babysit!" What they really mean is, "Do you know what you have done? Thanks a lot now were never going to go out on our weekly date night" and "don't call me to babysit."
Murphy's law has reeked a lot of havoc on our family. For instance, Dear Andrew...Loves to go fishing with his father. An announcement is always made to use the bathroom before you leave the house. Murphy always gets the best of him though, while miles off the beaten path, at the favorite fishing hole, Andrew has to poop. You can imagine the chaos that surrounded that moment. The only thing funny about the situation is that it was the same child who had to poop while sled riding last year when there was no bathroom anywhere. That situation was also a disaster.
The most recent run in with Mr. Murphy's law was yesterday. Poor Nick had to be sent home from school ill. He had vomited, luckily in the waste basket at school. What made the situation difficult was that I was babysitting for my girlfriend, and the baby was napping. No one wants to wake a napping baby. Its nearly against the law.
Quickly the day went from calm to pure hell. Now I have worked in the medical field for 10 years and never have I seen so much projectile vomiting in my life. Within an hour I was disinfecting my couch, floor, kitchen sink and a Pyrex dish...it was the closest thing in reach. Not long after my husband came home. Don't worry about him, he went straight to our room and fell asleep. Anyways, If anything can go wrong it will, and it did. Diarrhea struck and my home seemed to be filled with grossed out children, a sick child and who the hells baby is this? These are the moments where all mothers wish at the very least that they have eight arms; one to hold the bowl, one to strip the sheets, one for making tea, one for the baby that doesn't live with you and so on.
The only time that was ever worse was when Andrew vomited at 3am from the top bunk. I seriously contemplated grabbing my purse and walking right out the front door. Perhaps if I was getting payed it wouldn't seem to bad. At work I never get grossed out. But at home...I need someone to take care of me by the end of the night. Perhaps Mr. Murphy. Luckily the baby was claimed by her mother, Doug was still asleep. Nick did end up in the ER, but with the pure hell of an IV he is back to being his crazy self.
I still think Mr. Murphy should know thought that his law stinks and people with children should be exempt. Every mother has or will experience these moments. Luckily we love our children so much that after a day or so of healing, even we can laugh at the situation. You just have to tell yourself, if anything can go wrong, it will, and I will laugh about it later. Just remember that.

No comments:

Post a Comment